Thursday, March 6, 2008

Xi'an Musical Dinner Theatre

I managed to just make the dinner theatre after arriving at the hotel and getting myself sort of settled in. I was not able to get close enough to the stage to get great photos, so I'm a little disappointed, still the semblance of what I saw is there. The costumes were brilliantly done and the dancing and music most enjoyable!





The event was called the Tang Dynasty Palace Show, which stems from ancient historical music and dance as far back as the third century.









Supper was served first, and then the entertainment began, though I've decided to do the colourful photographs first. Besides, I'm getting tired of photographs of food.

The fare was a banquet of dumplings in various shapes and sizes and cooked in a variety of ways. They are considered an artistic meal here. Some looked like walnuts, peanuts, flowers or flying birds.
The first serving was a cold appetizer of thinly sliced cooked beef, and a plate of cold leafy greens with white beans of some kind that were quite salty. I was also served tea, rice wine and water. I quite enjoyed the wine!
Then we moved on to the first serving of dumplings, which were steamed, with fillings made from duck, fish, chicken, ham, pickles and vegetables.
The second serving of steamed ones had cabbage, beef, pork with mushroom, shrimp, seafood and a walnut one that was sweet. All were delicious, even the spicy and sweet ones.
Next came a bowl of steaming soup, with tiny dumplings. The waitress very quickly told me the meaning of getting a specific number of them, but her English was not that great and she was rushed to serve others, though I do recall her saying "no dumplings means no worries."
I felt like a dumpling by the time I was finished. I could hardly eat any soup and I think I only found one dumpling, but I have no idea what it means. The meal ended with a plate of fruit: sliced apple and cherry tomatoes.
The evening was enjoyable and different for a change!