Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Survival in Lhasa

My hotel in Lhasa is a good one; it has a soft bed! I also have a spacious bathroom, though the water isn't very hot in the shower and it leaks all over the floor.

When I look out my hotel window and see the mountains, I almost think I'm in Banff. It's considered four star, which isn't quite the same as a four star at home, but still my room is considered deluxe and I only paid 260 rmb/night, which includes breakfast.








Well, okay so the breakfast isn't that great, but they did tell me they had western food on it. The only thing I've found is hard boiled eggs and bread (the toaster doesn't work.)

My tour guide told me that there were restaurants that serve Western food here, even pizza. She took me to the Tibet Lhasa Kitchen place, and sure enough they have a bit of everything: food from Tibet. Nepal, India, China, as well as "Continental" and Sandwiches. All done Tibetan style of course. I've yet to find another one that remotely serves western food, no one can seem to think of one.

There was a lot yak on the menu, and things I have no knowledge of, like Shabal bread, Kathay momo, thanthuk. One I item I thought I might try sometime was yak potato stew with rice.

I decided to have some roast chicken the first night. The gravy and vegetables with it were very tasty, but I'm not sure I was eating chicken. At least I couldn't identify a particular body part. I’ve never seen any chicken/bird shaped quite that way…I couldn’t tell which part it was…sort of looked like a leg and thigh to begin with, but sure wasn’t once I started digging to find the meat…..more like an old misshapen buzzard of some kind! It was flavourful, but a little tough and I tried not to imagine what it really was. The nan I ordered was studded with garlic....good thing I wasn't meeting up with anyone later!









I’m suffering from the high altitude sickness (http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4618) The first day/night I had an extreme head ache, couldn’t sleep, had a puffy face and hands, but I wasn't as woozy as I was when I first arrived. During the night I finally had to take some Advil as my head felt like it was going to explode….Again last night I had to get up and take some medication...I'm also finding it extremely dry here and chilly. And it's quite difficult walking up any steps, or anywhere for that matter...I get quite woozy.

I’m took the first day off to hang out in my nice hotel room and catch up on blogs, etc. And I’m drinking lots of water. I’ve made arrangements to do some touring for the next day, then will take another day or two off to recuperate and rest, though if the symptoms persist, I might leave Lhasa sooner than I thought.