Wednesday, March 12, 2008

First Glimpse of Potala Palace

The first I saw of the Potala Palace was from the exterior, driving back and forth past it every time I went to the old area of Lhasa, called the Bokhor(e) square/street.

With each passing of it, I became more intrigued, but as I was suffering with high altitude sickness, I knew better than to attempt it until I was ready.


Because the palace is 13 stories high and one must climb up 263 steps it is recommended not to visit it until at least three or four days have past and visitors have adjusted to the altitude in Lhasa. They are not kidding!

"The construction of the world famous Potala Palace was started in the 7th century during the time of the Tubo King srontsan gampo."

The construction of the present structure began during the reign of the fifth Dalai Lama in 1645 and took more than 50 years to complete.

The Potala Palace is a landmark of Lhasa and Lama Buddism. It sits on the top of Mt. Putup, looming over the whole of Lhasa city.

The Palace stands up so high (about110metres), that it resembles a magnificent castle in the heaven.

"With over 1000 rooms, the palace covers an area of 10,000 square metres. It witnessed the life of the Dalai Lamas and the important political and religious activites in the past centuries. There are grand palaces within palaces."






I also saw it from the distance when I was visiting the little village in Tibet, and it is one impressive structure, near or far!