Friday, March 21, 2008

China Post Script

(images are of Tibetan Prayer Flags)
I may sound in the last pages of my blog as though I am blithely moving on in my life, looking towards my future with some anticipation, looking forward to the next experience, and seeing the recent past as an 'inconvenience' that I endured for a time, but I know that though the memories may become somewhat dimmer as time passes, I will carry the experience with me always. And I will never again take anything I have in my life for granted.

I have spent my first few days back in Canada, at times reliving the violence that erupted in Tibet, curious to know more about what is happening, and yes, I admit, sometimes trying to forget it. Although I never personally saw the physical damage to buildings and the horrors inflicted on the Tibetan people, I know the first level of fear, but not the horror of the brutality. I know many more have been killed and tortured than is being told to/by the media.

I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of the politics there, but I do know what is being done in the name of quelling a 'riot' is nothing more than terrible brutality to humanity for reasons that make no sense in a 'civilized' world.

To simplify, the way I've seen it is that the Tibetans, and repressed people like them in other countries, only want the freedom to worship how they see fit without fear of persecution. Of course, the problems are more intricate than that and there are always extremists, who want other things as well, but the fundamental basis is one of basic human rights to live a life without persecution, and with the ability to follow their own religious ways.

There are many web sites now that are reporting the devastation, and protesters from all over the world joining in so that their message can be heard. I only hope that people will understand how horrifically China is treating the Tibetan people, what atrocities they are inflicting onto human life and how many innocent lives they are taking.

I hope in the forseeable future we can all do our bit to end these senseless, barbaric genocides all over the world. At the very least, our prayers need to go in aid of them.
******
If you would like to sign an urgent petition calling on the Chinese government to respect human rights in Tibet and to have a dialogue with the Dalai Lama, please click on the link below.
There are other groups and web sites, as well that you might like to consider.