Saturday, March 15, 2008

Angels in Heaven and on Earth

My getting out of Lhasa unscathed, I'm sure, is due to some devine intervention, and most definitely by wonderful human beings, mostly strangers, who always kept me one step ahead of the violence, sometimes literally. In some ways I was never in any very hotspots, always quite close, but quickly taken out of the areas, so quickly I missed being in the most immediate dangerous action.


I know I might sound crazy, but there were times I wish I would have been closer to the action to truly see what was going on. I had to rely on others who communicated with those that were in the action, and of course, to translate from Chinese. The details of the whole thing make for a wonderful story, and I know some of the things you have been hearing are not accurate, and some things that happened are not being reported, but such is the way of the world of politics.



For now, let's just say I left Lhasa with some wonderful people, who took care of me....all of them citizens of China. As I don't want to get anyone into trouble, I won't post many details of how I actuall left on this blog. For myself, I feel quite safe and will be leaving the country soon.






In the meantime, here are some shots from the air as we left Lhasa for Chengdu, the closest destination out of Tibet.