Wednesday, March 19, 2008

From Lhasa to Chengdu - Construction Zone??

Good-bye Lhasa airport and hello great blue yonder...we're heading out of Tibet. I'm sure I was grinning the whole two hours it took to get to Chengdu.











I was incredibly happy to be out of the strife in Lhasa, and enjoying the freedom of the skies, the blueness, and the sense of safety.
















Arriving in Chengdu was another story. One of my friends from the night before took me under his wing and led me out of the airport, into a waiting vehicle and to a hostel in the middle of Chengdu.



It was raining, the first I'd seen in China and it seemed very odd. Almost a washing off of all the terror from the previous days.

I was a little dismayed when we stopped at the end of a street though and he trundled me and my luggage down a construction zone through the mud. Everything was torn up. But there was no other way to get into it.


I didn't know it at the time, but this was the area known as Dragon Town and it was being rebuilt to its old grandeur in time for the masses visiting during the Olympic Games.









However, we duly arrived at the Dragon Town Hostel and my friend said I wouldn't be I did question his wisdom at one point.


The rent per night was only 180 rmb, but the place was open to the elements. There was an opening in the middle of the roof where the rain dripped into a pool on the main floor. (This was like a courtyard with the building going in a square around it.)


All the rooms were built around this on three stories, all looking out over balconies to the sky above or the pool below. It was a beautiful concept, but not practical when it rained, like it was right then.






I was cold and bedraggled, and a little hungry.....one of our companions had bought a Snickers bar for each of us in the airport before we left, but by this time it was 2 pm or later.














Luckily, there was a very excellent restaurant right next door that had comfy seating and western food. I had trouble finding it at first and I even wandered down the alley to find "next door." Turned out the doorway was kind of hidden in the potted bamboo trees, along the walkway into the hostel. I promptly ordered a ham sandwich, which came with fried egg and sliced cucumber, as well as potato wedges in an interesting display.









I made an early night of it, falling into a pretty comfy bed, where I slept well, before waking to a new day filled with sunshine. I set off to explore the city of Chengdu and learn more about the construction zone I was staying in.

Located in the west of Sichuan Basin and in the center of Chengdu Plain, Chengdu covers a total area of 12.3 thousand square kilometres (4,749 square miles) with a population of over 11 million.



A typical Chinese city, it has less pollution than most, and lots of green areas. I quite liked it here. Chengdu is a city that gets more moisture than most, and many areas were already greening with spring.




















































































Along the way, I found a hairdresser's shop and I stopped to get my hair trimmed...my bangs were too long....for 20 rmb ($2.70) I had the most wonderful shampoo and head massage/reflexology treatment you could ever wish for from a young lad, followed by the hair trim. Wow. I'd go back there again!

By this time, I've been in contact with the CBC in Regina, and I'm looking for a place where I can use a phone in some privacy. The hostel only has one at the front desk where everyone comes and goes and talks loudly. We try to find a hotel for me in Chengdu, but they are all sold out, because of some kind of sugar conference. The cheaper hotels don't have phones in the rooms. I decide it's time to go to Beijing and maybe think about heading for home. Especially, as I will be speaking to the media and who knows what kind of reaction this will cause for me.