Sunday, March 9, 2008

Up-date, March 12 - don't worry about me

This is an inserted update within the stream of my travels, as I'm sure the news has come out today about unrest in Lhasa where I am right now. But I am safe.

As I was scrolling through looking for facts about Lhasa for my blog this morning (3:30 am), I came across this article: “Tibetan monks have taken to the streets of the capital Lhasa in a rare protest to mark the 49th anniversary of the uprising which was crushed by the Chinese army." http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/03/12/2186997.htm.

The story had been filed just over an hour ago, but I haven’t see any evidence of these happenings. It’s the middle of the night here, so I can’t imagine why they’d be doing it when everyone is asleep and the protest would go unnoticed by most people. I was in the busy part of the city last evening/night and there was nothing special going on then. This sounds like old news, yet it’s dated today. Not sure what’s up! Either way, I'm not touched by it.

I am suffering from the high altitude though…extreme head ache, can’t sleep, puffy face and hands, nausea, but not as woozy as I was when I first arrived. I finally had to take some Advil a few minutes ago as my head felt like it was going to explode and I'm already better. And I’m drinking lots of water, as recommended http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4618 Apparently the effects wear off over time.

I’m taking today off to hang out in my nice hotel room (260 rmb=$37/night in a four star hotel, though the four stars in China are not the same as in Canada). I plan to and catch up on blogs, etc. I’ve made arrangements to do some touring again tomorrow, then will take another day or two off to recuperate and rest. I wouldn’t mind staying here for a week or so, because I like the peacefulness, but you the food is not so great!

I need a few days to figure out what I will do next. I don’t want to come home yet, but I don’t know where to travel to next and I don’t want to keep wandering around. I really would like to experience teaching somewhere for a few months, but not in a country with pollution and preferable with some Western food. I wouldn’t mind a Spanish speaking country, so I might see what I can find on other continents. Asia is definitely not for me to live in, though I’m enjoying the touring and the people.

I have to admit I am very disappointed with the teaching job in China not working out. As I had signed a non-disclosure agreement, I can't talk about any details or mention anything that refers directly to the company, including names, places, the program, etc. However, I will say that it boiled down to lack of organization, no students to teach, and most importantly I was expected to pay for things in advance and then get reimbursed, which I simply couldn't and wouldn't do any longer. I'm already out quite a bit. The way things were looking I wasn't sure I would ever get reimbursed. I have since learned several other people have also resigned recently.

While I'm in Tibet I will be looking for other teaching work in other countries with a company that has a better track record. In the meantime, my touring is quite wonderful! And I will be posting lots more of my adventures shortly.