Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Tibetan Village

We travelled several miles out of Lhasa, passing many places where Buddhist flags were strung along mountains passes and peaks and dotting the landscape. I had to be careful where I aimed the camera though, as the army was everywhere, and my guide made sure I didn't take illegal photos, or there would have been serious problems for all of us.




At last, we came to a little village. There is a newer area, where new homes are being built of stone, but the old stone and mud/dung houses are still sturdy and well-used.

Patties of dung are stacked ready for use to heat their homes. Meanwhile, a pile of loose dung sits to the right, ready for use as fertilizer for gardens to grow vegetables, and in the forefront are piles of rocks for building homes.

























Donkeys and chickens run loose, while cows are tethered. The yak are up in the mountains, grazing. (No, I didn't get any photos, though the driver was willing to stop the moment we saw one.)




























The doorways are very short, as the Tibetan people in this region are on the shorter side, just like me.


Everyday Tibetan people walk in a 'circle' around the village temple with their prayer wheels. The temple is small and it was awkward to take a photograph, so I didn't get one of it.
Most didn't want their photos taken, especially the older women, but one man was happy to pose for me.
One of the elderly women, when she passed me, stopped and came back and kind of slapped my butt and smiled. She kept patting my butt, but said nothing, and I wasn't sure what to do. I nodded and bowed my head a little to her in reverence of her age, and eventually she took my hand and patted it. I was told later that she was saying hello and welcoming me, as well as curious about me.


All the babies and little children in all of China it seemed, until they are 'potty' trained are dressed in trousers that have slits in the back and sometimes in the front for easy access. They don't wear diapers, but their caregivers seem to have their bodily functions timed. In the photo below, you can just make out a slit in the rear of the little fellows pants.

Outside of the village wall, there is a path, then another kind of barrier made of dirt and trees. The bathroom - a ditch just outside the outer village wall (photo to the right).

Once I returned from my wandering and picture taking, I was invited to join the driver and the guide in the village 'cafe.' Yup, it was outdoors and I thought it was someone's private patio.
I was invited to share their dri - Tibetan tea (yak milk with black tea, and a little sweetner). They do not have access to locally grown black tea, so it comes in as teac bricks, which is what they use. Sometimes the milk is also powdered rather than fresh, depenidng on if its the right 'season' to have fresh or not.
Then I was asked if I was hungry and would I like to try their traditional Tibetan flat noodle soup (Thenthuk or Then Thuk). http://www.tibetinfor.com/tibetzt-en/tibetanfood/tibetan%20recipes/05.htm
I agreed to both and when the soup arrived I found it was made with yak stock and had bits of yak meat and some green onions floating in it. Delicious! The tea was great too, reminded me a little of the British way of making tea with milk. It had a little sweetener in it, but not too much.

Inside the 'cafe' walls:



Although the surroundings left much to be desired, the cafe owners were pleased that I enjoyed both the tea and my soup, and I had a great time!