Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Moving On From GZ

Between yesterday's excursions and today's problems, I've finally made a decision to move on from Guangzhou. This morning I quit my job. Tomorrow, I will fly out....keep posted for where!


I was not happy with many things about my 'job' and decided to quit before it cost me too much more....










I did get out and about a bit to see the city yesterday and part of today to see some apartments and places where I might live. Along the way I saw some great Feng Shui gardens, and monuments. Unfortunately I was in a crowded bus, shooting through dirty windows as we whizzed along., so the quality leaves much to be desired.






And very unfortunately the pollution is so bad you can't see much or very far. This is one of the reasons I have also decided to leave China. My throat is constantly scratchy.
That and the food, which is very hard to get used to, have been a problem for me. Something I ate the day before yesterday, caused my stomach to reject it the next morning and I was still a little queasy this morning.

I've had some wonderful tasty dishes too, like this mango and kiwi smoothy made with fresh fruit and yogurt. This was at Pizza Hut of all places! Seems they are now serving an Arabian line of food, including pizza, sweets, apple tea and other things, so the waiting staff has been wearing typical Arabian headdress (ghutra an iqal - head cloth for men and a sparkly sheer orange scarf/veil for the women.)

I will miss the wonderful people I have met from Shanghai, Dubai, Sweden, and Guangzhou, as well as other places...but hopefully we will keep in touch.

The Chinese people in general are very warm and kind, especially to foreigners. I am delighted to be among them!