Monday, March 10, 2008

In and around Beijing - Final day - to come

Beijing has a population of 70,000 million (16 times the amount of the population in Hong Kong and more than twice Canada's entire population.)

I could not get over the hugeness of it. I was staying in the centre of the city, but did travel to different parts throughout my touring.

We went past the Olympic Village, which is currently being built. Apparently there are 24 pavilions, some of which are recycled buildings, but many of which are new, including the "Bird's Nest" building. This is where the opening ceremonies of the Olympics will be held.



Second hotel where I stayed: Wan Cheng Hua Fu International Hotel

The busy streets have huge screens that broadcast entertainment, usually Chinese bands or musicians, and of course ads.

I was always noting peculiar spellings, and worst of all I came across the post office with bags of mail dumped outside....don't expect to receive any post cards.....