Thursday, March 6, 2008

I've Arrived in Xi'an

And I thought Guangzhou was bad for pollution. I was stunned at the atmosphere in Xi'an! Although the photos are poor because I took them through the window of the shuttle bus from the airport, you still get the drift, literally of the pollution hanging over the city.















I was also amazed by the dullness of the landscape, though it is winter time. But the buildings themselves were very dreary, made out of some kind of light brown material that faded into the colour of the surrounding landscape. The poverty was obvious as well, and many people were out in their gardens, nurturing plants and trees into spring emergence.










I took about an hour and half to get from the airport to the city and my hotel. This is what I can see from across the street.



This shot is the famous Drum Tower....see next blog for more info...
Kind of bleak.....but I managed to perk up the evening by taking in a musical dinner theatre.
As it's late and I've had a couple of tiring days, I'm going to be lazy and split this blog entry into two......see the next one for the famous feast!!!