Saturday, February 23, 2008

More Happenings in Shanghai

Well, this morning (Sunday) I woke at 2 a.m…..couldn’t sleep anymore. If I calculated the time I woke up, it would have been noon at home….Plus my ‘plywood’ bed kept me from getting comfortable and I was sleeping in my clothes to stay warm, so I eventually got up. About 4:00 am I went to the 24 hour place next door to the hotel to appease my hunger (more stuffed buns). I hadn’t had supper the night before.

At 7:00 am I took a quick walk down the street about three blocks and enquired about a room at another hotel. They gave me a look at the rooms and I checked out the bed…a little more comfy, but still not the greatest, but the warmth they had was wonderful and they had a bathtub, Internet service, take credit cards, etc.

After putting on my toque and gloves (along with my warm winter coat), I then went for a long walk in another direction. I couldn’t find any more hotels. I saw some wonderful sidewalk vendors and bought some fruit. I located an ATM, a book store (that had some English books), and many great places to eat. I finally have money again, and was able to buy a notebook and some envelopes too.

I watched various foods being made, then decided to try some. I have no idea what they are called, but the first thing I tried was made using a batter, which the cook spread evenly over a very hot round iron pan. Then an egg was cracked and spread all over it, followed by a sprinkling of green onion, cilantro, and it looked like a little bit of rice. She then added a couple of crunchy things (standing end ways in the photo) and folded this over. If you wanted you could have a brown paste of some kind and a spicy red sauce spread on it as well (I declined the sauces). She rolled all this up and cut it in half, then put it into a paper bag for me to take away. It was delicious.

As I sauntered along, I watched men clean streets with tree branches, bike riders with carts on the back, ringing cowbells to attract people to give them their junk, lots of traffic and people.



There were several 'bicycle centres,' where people could stop and get air for their tires or parts for their broken bikes.


















I came across a huge cement wall with broken glass embedded in the top, but have no idea what place was being protected. I also saw someone’s clothes hung in trees lining the sidewalk along this same wall.

As I walked, I took photographs of landmarks to I could find my way back if I got lost: a statue and a building with bright blue window panes.
















After a time I returned to the hotel, stopping to try another snack along the way. I followed this one entirely from start to finish.

A type of dough, almost like a potato pancake texture was blobbed onto the hot iron, then spread and patted down. Cooked on both sides for a while until lightly browned, an egg was then cracked onto the hot surface and the cooked batter placed over top where it was allowed to sizzle until the egg was cooked, then flipped over. A narrow slice of ham, then a square of white cheese was added, then two leaves of lettuce and it was folded like a wrap and placed into a bag. Once again you could choose to have hot sauce or brown sauce put in it, or ketchup and mayonnaise. I chose just ketchup, but I must say that the flavour ruined the taste of the rest of it, and I would not bother with ketchup again. Alas another delicious dish…guess these are more typical Chinese breakfast on the run meals.















I finally made it back to my hotel and had heard from my school contacts with the go ahead to change hotels. I had no problem getting my money back from the other hotel and getting into the new one. It's lovely to be warm again! And I have a bathtub!

Breakfast is included in the room price (which is more per room than the other one), but not Internet. I'm happy to pay for that though. There are lots of little things available too, like complimentary drinking water, Kleenex, a staff person who knows a little English and quick service to get little things, like an adapter for me. They've helped me locate the university on the map and it is very easy to get there from here. They also take credit cards and I’m on the 12th floor so have a wonderful view. Even the numbers on my key card match the room number on the door and I have extra blankets, which I won’t need to use for heat, but can use to lay on to give me a little more cushioning. It's a nicely situated room all around. I like being here already.

I've had a lovely soak in the tub, and am ready for anything....even the challenge of finding supper later....I'm closer to the train station here, which means the KFC and the other little restaurant I found the other day. I noticed they serve wanton soup, though I haven't seen a picture of it, so I don't know how I'll order it.

Houngkou map (area of Shanghai, where I am situated. I'm just above the green space on the upper lefthand side)

I finally found a map of Shanghai and now I can tell where I'm going. The woman from Dubai had sussed out the place as she'd arrived a day or so before me and we found ourselves on a much busier street with tons of fast food places like Pizza Hut, KFC, and MacDonalds. There was plenty of action on the street, which seemed to have a terminal for buses. There was also a Carrfour store, which has a mix of everything. One of the good things about my new hotel room is that I have a little fridge in it, so could buy some groceries and have my own food. There is a large grocery store in the more populated area and I will see what I can find there tomorrow.
At least, I'm getting into doing lots of walking again, which is great. I was beginning to feel like a slug cooped up because of the extreme cold in Regina.
I have yet to take photos of my new hotel and the views from it, but I've had enough of being out in the cold today, so I'm staying put...always thankful that I'm not in Saskatchewan weather at the moment, and having a choice to stay in or go out....