Sunday, February 24, 2008

One More Day in Shanghai

Things are good here and I am so happy to be able to experience the things that I am…it’s a real chance in a lifetime.

It’s quite different being the minority here….sometimes people treat me like I’m invisible and the next time they are laughing and joking with me, even if we can’t converse. I still haven’t gone beyond the Ni Hao greeting in Mandarin, but I’m using it all the time now. I need someone who speaks both languages to tell me more…this will come I’m sure. Right now, I’ve been fortunate that strangers are around to help me out when I least expect it…. like today when I wanted to do some printing and double-sided photocopying in a little Kodak shop across the street. A man came in and overheard the conversation and began explaining to them in Chinese what I wanted, and making sure with me in English that what he was telling them was right.

I go to a little corner store regularly and the two older women all wave and smile and say hello to me…and they try and ask me things or tell me things….I know what they are talking about…like how wet the weather was today or wanting to know where I am from, but neither of us speaks the others’ language…it’s quite wonderful to still be able to communicate.

Today I was in the little restaurant I’ve been in only once before (the one near KFC) and the staff began talking to me (in Chinese). When I took a photo of my bowl of wonton soup, the family at the next table began laughing and so did the staff. I laughed too and explained I was a tourist from Canada…they had no idea what I said except for maybe the word Canada. When the customers left they waved and smiled and laughed with me again. Then one of the cooks began trying to speak to me in English. It was fun! The soup was the best wonton soup I’ve ever tasted too!

The key I've found to communicating with most people is to smile. They know you're friendly then. Body language is important too.

I sauntered off down the street to buy some snacks, which would suffice for my evening meal...I'd had breakfast at 7:00 am and now lunch at 2:30 pm, so I wouldn't need much. Just something to tide me over until 7:00 am the next morning when breakfast was served in the hotel again.

I found a little stand that sold popcorn, but when I tasted it there was a slightly sweet flavour...definitely something had been added. Still it was good. I bought a couple of those little stuffed buns too and tucked them away in my little fridge. I also have some fruit leftover from yesterday, so I have enough to keep me going for awhile. I can stay snug in my hotel for the night.

It's still raining off and on and cloudy. There is also some very think fog from all the moisture too (not smog this time, although I suppose there is some mixed in there somewhere).


February 26 - Tuesday
Never did have supper last night, but pleased that I didn't wake up until 4:00 a.m. today.

My cousin in England sent me an e-mail of an incredible trip to a Teahouse. If you're interested in seeing the climb to it, I also found it on the Web at: http://materialicio.us/2007/09/17/a-tea-house-way-up-high/.

Last night I realized that I am over the initial culture shock and well on my way to simply living here and taking things as they come. I have a couple of favourite places to go and I’m getting the hang of things so I’m feeling more comfortable. I'm glad I've had these few days early to adjust and I’m also ready to explore a little more so will see where I get to today.

Breakfast was in the hotel again and although they had similar things from the day before, there were quite a few added features and I've since discovered the names for some of the things.

Besides yesterday's fare of plan gruel (called congee), they also had a fancier version with greens and mushrooms in it and some kind of flavouring. There were two kinds of stir-fried greens (Water spinach was one and the other was possibly bok choy, though mostly leaves, and some kind of other leafy veggie with partial roots). Fried noodles, and fried eggs joined the array along with bacon and pumpkin cake (steamed with sesame seeds on top - I didn't care for it much). The plain cake was there too, along with "sweet fermented rice circle son" (a sweet soup kind of thing-not my favourite food either).

There were also boiled eggs, but they were cracked all over and sitting in a brown liquid...I already had a fried egg, so I passed on it...my plate was quite full enough, though I'll try them another day). I had more rice with egg and tried several steamed buns, passing on the kind I'd had the day before. Instead I tried a steam bun with red bean filling (didn't like this either), and a veggie filled steamed bun, which was delicious. I had a couple of those. For cold dishes there was some kind of pickled (I think) fish. I only took a wee little bit and somehow it got mixed in with the rest of my food so I don't know what it really tasted like. There were also peanuts, pickled vegetables trips and pickled mushrooms. And my favourite Pot Herb Mustard and Green Soy Beans.

I investigated a little more into the beverage choices and found red tea, coffee, hot and cold mild, and juice. There was also toast, butter, strawberry jam and ketchup. To be honest the ‘English’ food (fired eggs and bacon) didn’t fit with the rest of the breakfast. I much preferred the Chinese foods.

I know I was having problems with the food when I first came, but the Chinese eat very healthy with all their green veggies and no sweets (well not much anyway…what is a desert here is not very sweet). Once you get accustomed to the food a little, it’s quite good. (Yes, I’m still avoiding the stuff I think of as weird – crocodile, ostrich, chicken heads and feet, etc.)

Eating the Canadian fast food junk isn’t very healthy and I will avoid it at all costs (though they have a Chinese twist to it, and it might actually be better than at home.) For now, going to KFC, Pizza Hut, MacDonald’s etc is a last resort. I’ve now found a little restaurant where I’ve come to know the staff and they appreciate that I like their food and can use chopsticks. I’ll go there for lunch again today, though not a noon when it’s really busy.

I’ve found I can wield chopsticks and slurp out of bowls like the best of them!


Now on to exploring more interesting cultural things....